Wednesday, May 27, 2020

TPACK Lesson Plan


TPACK Lesson Plan
Mrs. Winters 3rd Grade Class
Lesson Plan: Science-Endangered Species
Overview: The purpose of this lesson is to teach students about Endangered Species. This unit on endangered species is to promote awareness of them, as well as way we can protect animals from extinction. Most all children have a fascination with animals and wildlife. I hope this unit will provide them with new and interesting information. Students will choose an endangered animal and complete a report about their chosen animal. They will create a poster board filled with facts and pictures of the animal they chose. Their will also create a 3D model of their animal and share their project with the class. After the lesson is complete, each student will get to keep their 3D animal.


 Objectives: By the end of this, students will be able to define endangered species and identify several endangered species. Students will learn ways to help save threatened and endangered species.

Materials and Resources:

  •          Smartboard
  •          “Endangered Animal!” video-https://youtu.be/7k8CcAU2Lt0
  •          Endangered Species power point
  •          Tablets-epic App
  •          “Spirit Bear” book by Jennifer Harrington
  •          Poster Boards
  •          Markers
  •          3D printer
  •          Endangered Species Vocabulary Crossword Puzzle
  •          Kahoot quiz-https://create.kahoot.it/share/3rd-grade-endangered-animals/58a5a836-ddd0-48df-b611-3dd030ace170
Instruction
Introduction: To begin this lesson, I will start by asking my students if they know what an endangered species is. I will tell them that an endangered species is any species that is at risk of extinction because of a sudden rapid decrease in its population or a loss of its critical habitat. I will then ask them if they know of any endangered species. After our discussion, I will show them “Endangered Animals!” video from YouTube. (Visual, Auditory)
Instructional Process: I will state that it has been estimating that a fifth of the world’s mammals, birds, reptiles, and fish are in imminent danger of becoming extinct. There are more than 1,300 species listed as threatened or endangered in the United States. I will show the students a power point using the smartboard. I will go over several different animals that are endangered. After the power point, I will ask the students to choose an endangered animal. I will tell them they are going to complete a research project over the animal they choose. Students will research their chosen animal and create a report which will include one or more pictures, description of an animal, where the animal lives, why it is endangered, and conservation efforts to protect the animal, if any.
  •          Activity 1- Students will research their animal that they chose on their tablets. I will instruct them to use the epic app to find books about their animal. They will also need to print out photos of their animal. After the students have found some interesting information on the species of choice. I will ask them to create a poster with few facts and pictures about that species. (Visual, Kinesthetic)
  •          Activity 2- I will start this activity by reading the book “Spirit Bear” by Jennifer Harrington. It is the story of Annuk, a white bear cub (a “spirit bear”), who one fateful day is swept away in the river and must make his way back home through the rainforest to his mother.  In his journey, he must face the dangers of the forest, with help from an unexpected new friend – Kaya, a sea wolf pup. It is a story of perseverance and bravery, of friendship and trust.  Moreover, the beautiful wildlife illustrations introduce children to 22 animals from the Great Bear Rainforest in Western Canada, many of whom are endangered. Once I finish reading this book, I will let the students continue to work on their poster board.  (Visual, Auditory)
  •        Activity 3-I will explain to the students that we will be using the school’s 3D printer to create their own 3D model of their animal. Students will use Tinkercad to help create their animal. I will encourage them to try and make a realistic looking model not something that looks like a cartoon. After the students have created their animal, we will print their models. They can use markers for details like eyes, stripes, etc. (Visual, Kinesthetic)
  •        Activity 4- I will go over important vocabulary to know for endangered species. I will give each student an Endangered Species Vocabulary crossword puzzle. Students will present their research projects and 3D models to their classmates. (Visual, Auditory, Kinesthetic)
Closure: After this unit, I will make sure each student has a good understanding of Endangered Species. I will answer any questions the students may have.
Assessment: The student will be able to define endangered species and identify several endangered species. The student will also learn ways to help save threatened and endangered species.
     - Each student will be given a quiz on Kahoot. There will be 10 multiple choice questions         about Endangered Species.
Duration of this lesson: 4-5 days



7 comments:

  1. Katie, very organized work. I like how you separated each day's activities. The way you integrated Epic! was something I really think kids will enjoy because most of them love animals. Super fun activity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First I want to say, You are going to be an AMAZING teacher! The kiddos are going to love you!! Second, your lesson plan is so great! I love how you used Epic and the kids will relate wonderfully to that. You did a great job of letting the kids be hands on in your lesson!!! Good Job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked your lesson plan! I think your students are going to love it. It will definitely be a lesson they will remember.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the fun video you began the class with. This will get the students engaged in the classroom. I am going to agree with everyone, I loved that you incorporated Epic! into the lesson plan for students to do research over their specific animal. I also like that you include many activities with your lesson plan so that you know that your students fully understand the lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very well organized and very engaging. I like how you let the children do research over a specific animal, rather than assigning one or making the class all research the same one. Great job

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you did this over endangered species. Children these days still need to understand aspects of nature and how different that things affect animals and the environment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked your lesson plan. I thought it was cool that you did it over endangered species. I like how you added youtube into it as well.

    ReplyDelete

TPACK Lesson Plan

TPACK Lesson Plan Mrs. Winters 3 rd Grade Class Lesson Plan: Science-Endangered Species Overview: The purpose of this lesson is to te...